Sunday, July 22

After The Storm



Yasukuni Shrine, for all its controversy with its buried Korean and Chinese prisoners of war, has a fantastic festival mid July each year since 1947. The thousands of lanterns are aligned the whole way from the Iron Gate to the Shrine, to comfort the souls of those who died while fighting in WWII. I'm not sure how true this is* but before men left for war, they would say to their family:

Please don't cry. Even if I die, you can meet me at Yasukuni Shrine... please see me off with a smile.


The lanterns each have sponsors and really create this glowing warmth while you are walking down past all the food and game stalls, including potatoes!


Oishii!

Halfway down is a statue on and around which, party-goers can dance to the beat of a drum. These are typical Obon dances, celebrated in August when the dead are meant to come back to Earth.



It's my favourite festival each year (last year was just as good) because it's very laid back, and looks beautiful.


At home, getting ready for the first day back at work after the extended weekend, we felt an aftershock, 12 hours after the original tremor. To me, this was just as strong and even more so because the apartment we live in is only 3 years old, and this is the first time for it to shake. I really have to learn what to do and have in an earthquake. That'll be my new project.

*because it sounds like only something that can be said retrospectively

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely idea and the lanterns look absolutely beautiful - and jacket potatoes too. What more could anyone want. I once went in an earthquake simulator (I think at the Science Museum) and it was really scary, so the real thing must be even more so. Usually in film they hide under a table or something similar - is that any help?