Thursday, March 8

How To Lose Friends And (Un)Influence People

I went to get my hair cut today. Every other shop in Japan is a salon, but these are a lot more expensive than the barbers, so I went to my neighbourhood barbershop. A lot of attention to detail is taken, although I politely declined the shave that was offered to me. It sent shivers down my spine when they used a blade to tidy up the back, so no way was I letting a stranger near my throat.

However, once the cut was finished, another staff came over to give me a massage. I'm not particularly thrilled with massages; unless they're the proper ceritifed type, it always seems a little strange to have someone doing that to you. However, she did her thing, which involved her digging her nails into my head and seemingly trying to rip off my scalp. I had to smile, but I think I covered it.

Unfortunately, she then put one hand flat on top of my head and then hit it with her other hand; like when you pretend to crack an egg on someone's head. I burst out laughing because, a) it hurt, b) it looked peculiar in the mirror and c) how in any way was that relaxing or soothing?!

The hair-cut was very quickly finished up, and after taking my money I was shown the door. They were still extremely polite and I feel a little rude, but it was so hard not to laugh.

No comments: