Thursday, November 22

It's A Small World, And I'm A Big Jerk

This was one of those moments that were so unfathomable, that on the one hand is just a great "Magnolia" moment but at the same time you wish the ground would swallow you up.

I was heading to the train station on the way home just now in Causeway Bay, dodging in and out of the hoardes of Chinese people, when I felt a prod on my arm. This was not unusual - people bumping into you, or trying to sell something - but a girl on the other end of that prod stopped and stared at me.

In that moment, I did not recognise the pretty Chinese girl at all, and tried to think where I might know her. Warwick University if anywhere, but nothing was flooding back. Maybe if I said about Uni first, I might be able to bluff her that

Girl: Hey, did you go to Warwick University?
Phil: Yeah.
Girl: I thought so; I saw you walk past here the other morning and thought I was going crazy. You were a student representative, right? I'm Priscilla.

I had absolutely no idea who she was and it was too obvious at this point to pretend. And then I asked the question that I regretted asking before I even started:

Phil: What year were you in?
Priscilla: The same as you.

Awkward silence follows.

Phil: How are you!? What are you doing out here?
Priscilla: I live here, this is where I'm from. Are you working here?
Phil: Yeah, recruitment. So are there many people from Warwick?
Priscilla: Actually, there's quite a few of us and we have reunions every month. The next one's next Thursday; you should come.
Phil: Great, I'd love to.

She fumbles around for a pen to give me her number.

Phil: By the way, my name's Phil.

I thought maybe I could even the embarassment a bit if she didn't know

Priscilla: Yeah, I know.

We said our goodbyes.

---

I felt like the world's biggest jerk for not knowing her. To my defense there were 108 girls in my class, and only 12 boys. Also, even if I did know her, it would be much easier for her to pick me out in a crowd in Hong Kong than vice versa.

I don't know what response she was expecting, but a blank face probably wasn't it. I only wonder who would be at this reunion - expats or locals? I'll definitely go, it'll be quite good to build up a social network here. But I really don't remember her, and not even her face. At all.

Strange how a small link in our past will draw us together, yet she is near enough a stranger to me.

So my next moves are damage control, work out who will be there (consult Fi and Rae, who might know) and go and meet up with everyone.

I thought it was a story worth telling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hilarious! i can imagine it exactly, the look of bemusement on your face as you try and work out who she is, while she's standing there thinking "he doesn't remember me at all". classic!

xx

Anonymous said...

as Dan said classic, and is there another installment when you are told who she is?
Have you looked at your uni photos? do you want me to digitally send the graduation hats off photo/group one?
at least you'll have a great social event to go to.... velly intelesting.