Tuesday, May 20

Times They Are A Changin'

Last weekend, I went back to Tsunashima to have a look around, as I haven't been there for about a year. It's only 30 minutes by train but worlds apart; the green banks with families picnic-ing along the river are a sharp contrast to the metropolis I now live in. It's a lovely place, at the heart of suburban Japan and I would advise it for a prospective English teacher. I even went down to my old house in Bell Wistaria - all the Nova apartments are empty. I tried to 'break in' to #202 but failed miserably. So many bills piled up in the mailbox - unpaid taxes, phone bills... Sadly, but luckily for me, the 99 yen shop nearby is now a standard supermarket.

Nostalgia over, I headed back to the train station and noticed the red bean-filled pancake man was setting up his stall. He even remembered me!

Not my hand

Good times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the pancake lady(?) very well although I preferred the custard type. It seems sad that all the flats are now empty, but I'm pleased you went back for a last (at least for a while) walk over your bridge, past the love hotel etc etc.
Mum xx

phil-san said...

That was funny when I guilted you into having a custard pancake when you really didn't want one!