Monday, April 10

Oh Joy, Training… Oh Joy, Teaching!

I began On the Job Training (OJT) a little hung-over, and ever so slightly hoarse. Who knew beer and singing don’t mix.

My training was at the Ebisu branch; the next stop after Shibuya on the Yamanote Line. One of the biggest selling points for NOVA is that the branches are all next to train stations, so you can’t miss the big signs.

It was easy enough to find. Most branches have cubicles for each teacher and their class of up to four students. However, Ebisu is open plan so all the tables are next to each other in one room. Very distracting, especially when there are children’s lessons going on.

Levels of student ability range from A, B and C (very basic) through D and E (the majority) to F and G (almost native). When students attain highly, they can be levelled up. Each level has about 50 lessons in it, all of practical value and not concentrating on grammar, verbs or the ins and outs of English*. For example, lessons include “catching a taxi”, “complaining at a restaurant” and “choosing what to watch at the cinema”. Lessons are forty minutes, with ten or fifteen minutes** between to fill out files, find files for the next lesson and look over the lesson plan. Due to this, an eight hour day means nine periods: eight lessons plus a break.

The basic set-up of a lesson is saying hi and then introducing the topic. After that, you discuss the main language of that topic, practice conversations, and highlight any words that need explaining or clear pronunciation. Then a listening exercise, activities, and role plays. Finally, any questions, a review and wrap up. I’ll go into more detail soon but, for now, I’m just trying to catch up to real time.

The three days consisted of learning how to teach a lesson. Through the three days, I took seven classes. Most went pretty well and I got some good feedback. Again, I’ll try to put the feedback sheets on here as pictures when I get a chance. My first student was called Reiko, which is awesome (if you watch 24, it’s the name of the actress who plays Michelle).

It’s crazy how quick the process is. Three days training, one day off, and then I begin. Straight into a full week of teaching.

Being talked at for three days isn’t fun. I had actually heard that OJT is mind-numbing and almost patronising. Although I was expecting this, I did feel disheartened by it all. So during the lessons, which I loved, it gave me the buzz and motivation to realise I would enjoy the job after all.

Still, I’m going to love the days off more.

*Students are more than welcome to ask questions concerning grammar etc.
**Depending on the time of day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do the lessons get repetitive
is it a case of "Previously on 24"

Hows the Japenese, do all students come from Japan, do they travel far to the lessons
what do they hope to do with the English.
do they get confused with different Western accents?