Monday, April 9

Brief Encounter

I found out some shocking news, straight out of the blue. Through a chain of people, Keiko told me that Mr Suzuki - the man who accosted me in the bar for English lessons - has died. He was pretty young, looked in good health and showed no signs of going anywhere.

He was adamant about learning English, and it got me thinking. I have so many elderly students who sit in a classroom paying to get a basic education. Why don't they spend that money and go on a trip to the country they're learning about. I know it's not as clear cut as that, but it would be a lot more fulfilling, in my opinion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. Sorry I haven't added any comments for such a long time Philip but yet again we have not had any internet connection. It is lovely living in such a rural part of the world but it has its disadvantages too. Anyway, we're back again. Scrolling briefly through your excellent blog I notice a distinct lack of readers' comments. Just reading your entry about Mr Suzuki reminds me that there is someone sitting in a rest home even as we speak probably wishing they had taken more advantages of the opportunities to travel that they had when they were still able to.