Sunday, April 15

花見 - Hanami

花 hana = flower.
見 mi = to look.


The annual event ties with Mt Fuji as the most representative symbol of Japan, according to the majority of my students.

Unfortunately, as I have mentioned, the rain fell and fell, bringing down the delicate petals with it. Still, with one sunny day coinciding with a day off, we made it to Ueno Park - where I first experienced the festival this time last year - just before the trees were bare again. We found the best tree and set up base beneath it.



It was relaxing, lying in the sun, watching all the budding photographers, eating Japanese snacks*, playing travel othello and Keiko befriending a fly.



After that, we walked around a bit, and stumbled upon a street performer. She was insane - singing opera, contorting her body and playing strange instruments. She selected me to be her assistant, which was a little embarassing but nevertheless fun. I got roped into a Phantom of the Opera style montage, dressed in a hat, and hitting a horn everytime she looked my way. Still, I got a balloon dog out of it. Unfortunately, I had my camera on me, and Keiko's phone was busted, so no pictures. You'll have to imagine me looking like an idiot.


*tako-yaki to be precise. Up to you to find out what it is if you're open to ideas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a cherry blossom tree overlooking our garden which is absolutely magnificent. I have taken a photo and will email it to you Philip.