Saturday, June 28

Whale Of A Time

Keiko's parents came to Tokyo to see a concert; a folk singer coincidentally in the Shinagawa Prince Hotel*. As it was Keiko's birthday on Friday and mine this coming Thursday, her dad took us out for a meal. I chose somewhere controversial. For us, not for them.

I want to try everything at least once (except for fried tarantula, which goes without saying, although I just said it), so I opted for whale. I'm undecided on the moral implications of whale hunting, but for some unknown reason, I'm not inclined to be against it. The most famous whale restaurant in Tokyo is Kujiraya in Shibuya; Kujira is Japanese for 'whale', Ya for 'shop'.

Kujira is one of my favourite Kanji - 鯨 - the left part means 'fish', and the right part means 'capital' (itself the second character in Tokyo, and the first in Kyoto). Actually, whale isn't even a fish, as we all know, so this is redundant**. Kujiraya has a traditional set-up, with the sunken tables, waiters in yukata, and tatami floors. There are also whale ornaments on ledges, many smiling back at you.


We ordered deep-fried whale and whale steak, which came with the usual sides of salad, rice, miso soup and tea. I heard that whale is similar to beef, a little rubbery and salty but nothing too out there. And it was fine. Pretty much what I was expecting; nothing special in itself, but delicious on the scale that any meat meal would be. A good experience, and I'm glad to say I tried it.

*Past the 70 bowling lanes, and as far as I'm aware, all the restaurants were open. Thank goodness.
**The whale's closest common ancestor is in fact the hippo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness all 18 restaurants were open. We stayed there for three nights if I remember rightly and don't think I saw a quarter of the hotel complex in that time. Far too big for us (with very small bedroms even considering we were upgraded).
Anyway, I'm not too sure about you eating whale. I am seriously against whale (and any other hunting), on the other hand I am quite happy to sit down and eat little lambs and chickens etc without a moment's thought. We went out for dinner recently and Keith, like you to be controversial, chose ostrich for his main course. I was horrified but then later decided that as I was eating lamb that I was a complete hypocrite and had a bite of his ostrich as well (bit rich for my taste).
Mum xxxx

Anonymous said...

I still think it's frickin hilarious that after being a staunch vegetarian for all those years, you have swung back to meat with such a vengeance. Quite a controversial meal, but then i have eaten guinea pig in ecuador and i wouldn't have a whale as a houselhold pet!
x

phil-san said...

lamb, mmmmm. where was ostrich? in france? never heard that. i've heard of ostrich eggs mind, so i guess it's not too strange.

and frickin is a great word.

Anonymous said...

And a happy birthday to Keiko too!! D&A