Monday, January 5

Phil-San's Sing-Along Blog

In my haste to finish the retrospective I forgot to include my favouritest thing of last year. During the writers' strike, Joss Whedon (the main guy behind the Buffy series) and his pals went to work creatively. Whilst writing for tv was off the cards, they made a self-contained story within three 14 minute episodes (collectively the usual length of a tv drama*) and published them online. It's now been released as a DVD.

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog follows the main character through his video blog as he struggles to be acceped by the Evil Legue of Evil and dodge his arch nemesis, Captain Hammer. At the same time, he is in love with the 'nice girl' and this leads to his own struggle between good and evil. It's hilarious, sad, and a musical extravaganza. As with the 'Once More With Feeling' Buffy musical, they pull it off brilliantly. The American Film Institute included it in their "Eight Moments of Significance of 2008".

Here's one of the songs:



Joss Whedon is a genius, there's no two ways about it. He even admitted to preferring Veronica Mars to Buffy and cameoed in it.

If anyone's interested, I have a copy.

*Using that logic, 24 should actually be named "Just Under 18" - in itself not the friendliest sounding name for a few reasons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've watched/listened to the song and it's excellent. Who are the people in it? They look very familiar to me, but I can't quite place them.
Mum

phil-san said...

Neil Patrick Harris was in Doogie Howser, Starship Troopers and now How I Met Your Mother. The girl is relatively new. The other guy is Nathan Fillion - he was in Buffy as Caleb, and more predominantly the main guy in Firefly/Serenity; we watched a bit at your house with the crazy girl.

(By the way, I gave you this when I came last. Definitely watch it!)

Anonymous said...

I will. I thought it was the guy from Doogie Howser but wasn't sure.

phil-san said...

Good, can't wait to talk to you about it. It's one of those things that will be more fruitful on repeat viewing.

I like all these comments - is this your resolution?