Wednesday, January 7

Why Kate Winslet Is Awesome

Not because I think I met her once* but because she is mightily talented. Yesterday I saw The Reader on the cheap**, her latest film and it is an unforgiving role that relies on her courage as an actor.



The novel was massive on its release; the only German book to ever top the New York Times Bestseller list. The first half concerns a relationship between Hanna Schmitz (Winslet) and Michael, a 15-year old (although 18 in real life - there is a lot of nudity but it's handled well). It doesn't end well and what follows then is an amazing reunion at her trial where we find out she is being prosecuted for Nazi War Crimes. Suddenly the audience is drawn into conflict - is her version of the Holocaust enough to excuse her guilt? How can we sympathise with such a character?


The theme here is responsibility: for your actions, for your desires, and for assigning blame. The ending is a little too neat and the only other complaint I had was that one interesting character comes along and questions the morality of persecuting the few for the majority to relieve their consciences, only for him to disappear straight after. Again, this is another aspect of responsibility and, unfortunately, it is glossed over.


And, pathetic me, by the end tears were streaming. Not many films make me cry but this one destroyed me. When Michael finally takes some responsibility (there it is again) for something he should (or shouldn't) have done, it was cathartic to say the least. Oh how I cried.

Winslet deserves a million accolades for this.

*In a deli in Primrse Hill but I could be mistaken.
**£3.90! The Tuesday bargain, as well as the student/senior/child/old staff rate, as well as the 10p discounted from the reduced VAT.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the reviews I've read of the film have been really amazing and they all say that Kate Winslet is brilliant in this and also the other film that she is in with Leonardo di Caprio that I don't know the name of.
Mum xxx

phil-san said...

Revolutionary Road. I'll check it out.

She's had five nods now and supposedly two more this year. Plus she looked hot at the recent premiere

McGarmott said...

I haven't seen this one but having seen Revolutionary Road she's more likely to win for that (relatively weaker competition). Or maybe she'd be the first to pull off both?

And don't you just envy David Kross? Lucky bastard.