Tuesday, September 4

Looks Like I Made It

This is, believe it or not, my 500th post!

I'm so pleased and proud that this blog has captured so much of my adventure and, honestly, I can't quite believe that I kept up with it. It's been fun, and a little frustrating, but I love it. Sometimes I wish I had been more honest about some things, but I hope that this has been a near-accurate reflection of my time since Entry 1 on 27th February, 2006.

So what better way to celebrate than to look back at some of the milestones along the way:

Entry 20 - My first post in Japan and, "so far, I like what I've seen".
Entry 28 - My first big trip, to Hakone (eggs, cable cars, lakes, Fuji)
Entry 101 - The beginning of my love affair with Odaiba
Entry 154 - A brief hop over to Thailand for my Birthday
Entry 196 - The emotional, physical and mental peak for me, quite literally at the top of Fuji.
Entry 250 - Halfway there, and it's Halloween
Entry 251 - Keiko's first appearance
Entry 303 - New Year in Sendai, watching the sunrise
Entry 318 - The early bird catches the... fish
Entry 372 - My last day of Nova, a great year but more than enough
Entry 375 - Giant penises, a cemetery, and a man in the river
Entry 493 - The beginning of the end...

Or the end of the beginning?

And to you, my fine readers. I never set-up a page-counter so I'm not sure how many times this blog has been looked at. Anyway, I'm not sure it's so useful as it doesn't show how many actual readers there have been. However, I have made some statistical observations about the comments:

Out of 500 posts, 206 (41.2%) of them had comments
In total, 696 comments were left, an average of 1.4 per entry

Which entries spurred the most comments?
Here are your Top 5, in reverse order:

5. A philosophical dilemma in April 06 questioned who is on the "other side of the world" (8 comments)
4. My all-night rave-up, and the value of DJs in June 06 (9 comments)
3. In Nov 06 a sad discussion on suicide provoked some strong responses (10 comments)
2. Just before I left for Japan back in March 06, suggestions for what I should take (11 comments)
1. And in 1st place, Feb 07, who could forget the thrilling game of "guess the jam flavour"?! (12 comments)

A new feature to celebrate this occassion. Please scroll up and to the right and, if you have time, cast a vote on the interactive poll.

So there it is. I've come so far, both in and out of the blog, and I can't wait to see what lies ahead. Thank you for still reading, and I hope you enjoy the next part of "one boy's adventure on the other side of the world, just a little closer."

I'll finish here with the words I used to start my blog:

Who knows where this may lead, or what I'll learn, or what my life will become
All I know is that this blog will let you experience it right beside me
x p

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on everyone, vote for a continuation of Philip's blog. It would be such a shame if he stopped now so vote, vote, vote 'YES'. I don't know about anyone else who has taken the time to read this wonderful, descriptive, fascinating, sometimes emotional personal view of life in Japan but for me (and I am a bit biased I do agree) over the past year logging on and checking on Philip's website has been a real daily highlight which I have always looked forward to and relished once I was there. I would really miss it if it wasn't there any more!

Anonymous said...

Philip, you can not sign off just yet there are still 23 days in Japan, the transfer to Hong Kong and the start of a whole new adventure....... the boy has become a man......... a man of many ambitions, so let's see some more fascinating entries and comments............... Ps. as i said in my email there is a marathon each month in HK so no exscuses! What should you take from Japan to HK? What will you miss most, and I wonder how many baked potatoes you will find?

Anonymous said...

Oliver and I are off to Wembley to see England v Israel. Which shirt do we wear and who do we support. Israel, England, Israel or England? A total dilema!

Anonymous said...

Well that is the old Norman Tebbitt cricket question isn't it?

phil-san said...

Oli should wear a Japan shirt and Dad should wear a Hong Kong shirt (if there is such a thing?) to support... me!

Anonymous said...

Mate, this blog is immense. Looking forward to reading about your new upcoming adventure!

Anonymous said...

You must keep up the blog as your Mum would have nothing to talk to me about, or anyone else. However I think it is a great record if for no one else but yourself.From comments in the past people all over the world look at your blog, can you get it printed? I don't nomaly put comments, as you know,but I do look at it, so keep it up. Best for always Kieht.

McGarmott said...

By the way, there is a bright side to going to Hong Kong. You get to watch Bourne Ultimatum before the Japan release.