Friday, February 22

Yamanote 29 Challenge

One of my most favouritest things about Tokyo is the magical train system: cheap, reliable, useful, albeit daunting at times*. The Yamanote Line is the, in my opinion**, best line for its simplicity and coverage. It loops, in an oval shape, central Tokyo, much like the Circle Line of any other major network. However, being JR and not the Metro, it's above ground.

My home station, Gotanda, is on it, which makes life easy, and connects me quickly to Shibuya, Shinjuku and Tokyo etc. Here is an incredible fact that I recently learnt:

An estimated 3.5 million passengers ride every day on Tokyo's Yamanote Line, with its 29 stations. For comparison, the New York City Subway carries 5.08 million passengers per day on 26 lines serving 468 stations.

That, to me, is astounding.

Last week, I couldn't join in the Marathon, so I thought I'd partake in my own challenge/adventure. Tomorrow, Saturday 23rd February, I will be 'Circling The Yamanote' and hopefully conquer the Yamanote 29.

How difficult will it be? Not entirely sure. The track is a total of 34.5 kilos and I'm sure I'll be walking on the inside and outside loop at different times; plus there will be sections that I won't be able to walk alongside the track so that might add a bit more distance. I'm guessing, including lunch, dinner and detours, it will take about 11 hours.

The rules are as follows:

I must take a photo at each station and, if possible, something relevant to that station. I must walk as close to the track as possible.

That's it.

I'll be going anti-clockwise because I'd rather end up around Shibuya in the evening than Tokyo side.

Wish me luck.

*if you have your bearings no problem, but once you board a semi-rapid train...
**I learnt 'yoof-speak' this morning so I should've written IMO. I also learnt IIRC. Any guesses?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, any cahnce of a magnet from each stop? dad x

phil-san said...

How does a photo sound?!

Anonymous said...

By the time you read this you will have completed your personal 'marathon'. Hope it went well.
Thanks for the biscuits by the way.
Mum

Angie Anne said...

awesome!