Saturday, October 27

Isolation

Normally, isolation has a negative feeling but it can also be a good thing. Sometimes space and distance is just what you need.

The map below shows all of Hong Kong (check out the scale - it's a tiny place!). I live in Tsuen Wan, which is just north of Kowloon in the New Territories. (For interest, my office is in Causeway Bay on Hong Kong Island, around about the "K").



Only I don't live in Tsuen Wan. I'm to the West and along the coast (more Sham Tseng). The second map shows a close up of Tsuen Wan district, with the town on the far right, which is where I take the train from. The hotel is located at the end of the bridge, as you could guess from my photos. The view from my window is towards Tsuen Wan, along that stretch of harbour.


To walk to the nearest town is about 40 minutes and that is not always convenient. With no supermarkets or newsagents nearby, I have to plan ahead. I can order supermarket home delivery (although it has to be over £35ish) or pizza delivery so I'll never starve, but it's not the same as a conbini on every street in Tokyo.



There really is nothing around me. The area is between two towns and this is the first residential building up and running. Perhaps over the next few years this stretch of coast will develop and the towns will merge. For now, I have glorious views of the coast, the bridges and the constant stream of boats passing through. It's beautiful and the air is clean.



It's been hazy most days so today wasn't much different. I didn't want to travel too far (I might see the Buddha tomorrow) so I went for a walk in the opposite direction, towards Mainland China, just to explore. As mentioned, visibility wasn't great but made some decent ghostly "The Fog"-style photos:


The whole way along the coast are beaches, divided by rocks and natural mounds. They are quite secluded and you can have your own private beach as most are empty. However, they are not completely hidden away from the main road, contrary to this guy's thoughts (and to my surprise!):

It doesn't matter where I am or where I go, there's always something funny to report!

It's a fairly long commute to the city and living closer to work would be more convenient for a number of reasons (shopping, social life, commuting time). By the coast is quiet, relaxed and pollution-free. The trade-off is a tricky one, and it's something that I'll be considering.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

enjoy the space.... it can be rare.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to know that you started taking a trip like you always did in Japan. I definitely agree that your living area has much cleaner air and is quieter than any other places I visited so far in Hong Kong.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!