Friday, October 19

Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Quick update about Nova's almost-certain demise. There's been much speculation so I've refrained from commenting but now things have hit rock bottom. Japanese staff haven't been paid still for last month and instructors were supposed to be paid last Monday. Sunday night a fax went out apologising that there would be a delay and Friday (yesterday) everyone would be paid. And to please be patient.

Since then, more people have been evicted from their Nova-rented apartments and over 200 schools have closed - some more suddenly than others, including mine (Musashi Kosugi). Which means teachers are quitting, not enough classes for students, students wanting their money back but not being able to get any, and the news hitting the International media; this last point is effectively the death of Nova because there will be no interest in prospective teachers.

Friday came and went and, surprise surprise, no pay.

Mass walkouts, schedules/schools closing without notice and no pay in sight.

My prediction: Saturday and Sunday will see a crumble, with schools one-by-one locking up. Nova will be gone Monday morning.

And to the teachers/titled instructors who have stuck this out and remained loyal to the company... you are idiots. I'm sorry to those still-working teachers who read this but you all knew it was coming. Where is Nova's loyalty to you?!

It still strikes me as insane that a company of that size and scale can decide not to pay its staff. It strikes me as more insane that people will continue to work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil, just read your cinema entry, whilst waiting for Barbara in reception in Barcelona; seen Counterfeit? Dadxxx

Anonymous said...

meanwhile, even in barcelona the rugby fever is high, come on johny kick for england. and tomorrow the gP will Lewis finish 1st?

Has all this escaped HK I doubt it as I recall Rugby is v big?

enjoy the game, and to think 6 weeks ago I turned down 2 World cup final tickets as my mate just did not understand the game but his missus won them in some freaky compo.......... i never expected england to be in the final....doh. Dadxxx

Anonymous said...

For a good laugh You Tube cadbury gorilla spoof...seen the original brilliant

phil-san said...

Each comment more random than the last. Dad, nice to hear you're having a good time.

I watched the advert. Am I missing something? Am I not in on the joke? This must be my naive "Min Ge" moment.

Anonymous said...

you needed to have seen the original first then the spoof, brilliant.
Flamenco tonight, then Rugby Final.
back home to see the GP.

Anonymous said...

LOL freaky compo, missus, doh and my mate. all things dad has never said before!