Monday, October 29

A Semi-England?

There're many things I haven't mastered here yet:

my stomach hasn't mastered the food
my skin hasn't mastered the pollution
my ears haven't mastered the noise...

But I made it! One whole month here.


I was thinking today that maybe coming here wasn't such a bad thing in a very roundabout way. Reverse culture shock worried me; feeling daunted at the prospect of returning to England and back to Western civilisation. I've made it quite clear on here that I follow the news back home and it's very depressing to read. But Hong Kong is similar to the West in so many ways - brands, attitudes - that maybe I'm experiencing the reverse culture shock now. Hopefully, I'll have no problems next week. Interesting theory I thought. If it's true I should copyright it:

that if you are worried about reverse culture shock, go somewhere similar first to get it out of the way, for an easy entry back to your motherland


And yes I know my blogging SUCKED this month. If only it was turning January and it could be my New Year's Resolution. Well, it can be my Winter's Resolution.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait till you come here then. That is real culture shock. No cars, no pollution, no noise, no people (some would say no-thing to do).
We watched a very interesting prog on National Geographic last night. Paul Merton in China. It's mad there! And they have really serious pollution problems. Anyway, it is still in our thoughts that if we come out to you again next year we will combine it with a trip to China. W

Anonymous said...

the real culture shock will be your first taste of national transport onboard the coach to Bournemouth, that'll make u realise how lucky u were there!!! (hopefully i'll be wrong!)

phil-san said...

Will there be a jolly hostess? (Thanks for booking it)

phil-san said...

Speaking of pollution, front page news today that it's so bad in China, 6% of babies have physical deformities (extra fingers, cleft palate, clubbed feet) because of it! Expect me to come back with a third eye in the middle of my head.

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to seeing you SO MUCH. I can't wait.

phil-san said...

ME TOO!