Sunday, May 21

Catch-Up

I thought I’d write a little entry on here because I’ve been quite busy lately. It hasn’t been that great a week, but I’m not going to turn this into a ‘Dear Diary’ moment. But the truth of it is that I’ve been a bit fluey, a bit depressed by the rain and a little uninspired. The rain finally stopped today, after seven days, but this is only a little taster; the rainy season kicks in mid-June. For a month.

On a more exciting, albeit worrisome, note I felt my first earthquake yesterday. It lasted about ten seconds and rattled the doors at work, but wasn’t a big deal. The ‘big one’ is still on its way. Which reminds me, has bird flu disappeared? I never hear or read anything of it now.

My housemates are being jerks. Bruce, I’m not surprised about but Steve isn’t that nice a guy when you get to his core. The other night, I was cleaning my teeth about 11pm and he barged into the bathroom with his laundry. We’re not supposed to use the washing machine after 9pm because they thud and vibrate the floor. A new couple have just moved in below us with a one year old daughter. I told him not to put it on as it wasn’t fair on the girl. He said that it wasn’t loud (which it is – his room is on the other side of the flat) and that “a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do”. I should’ve punched him but I carried on brushing.

I guess you’ve got to take the rough with the smooth. There’ll be happy sailing again because I’m planning a trip away. I need your help, however.

Next week I will go away overnight. Weather permitting, do I:
a) Go three hours north to Nikko, where it’s cultural and they have the “hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil” monkeys. Or,
b) Oshima Island, a small island two hours south of Tokyo which is basically a dormant volcano on the sea, with hikes and ‘freshest of fresh’ fish restaurants.
Unlike the American election system, every vote counts.

Jody and I just stuck on Aladdin, and the video says “a 1992 production”. 14 years ago! That’s ridiculous!

Oh, this is the view from the bridge I cross every day. It's pretty cool, and supposedly you can see Mount Fuji from it on a good day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Definitely is with an 'i' Oliver! Where did you go to school?

Anyway, I agree with Oliver. The volcano thing sounds much more exciting. Go there. Although, on the other hand, you have already been to a volcano haven't you, so maybe the monkey thing. Oh, I don't know. Either will be great I'm sure.

Was that helpful?