Saturday, May 13

Ooh, Hakone Is A Place On Earth – Pt.2

Back at Odawara Station, about 11am, I boarded the Hakone Tozan Train, a mountain train-car which zig-zagged up a mountain slope. I was the only Western person on the train. In fact, I saw a German couple and some Americans and that was it. There were hardly any habitants, let alone tourists all day.

The higher up we went, the more amazing the view. Houses were built into the mountainsides which looked impressive but I doubt it’s practical. I hopped off (damn this language) at Chokokunomori. Try saying that fast five times with a marshmallow in your mouth.

Next to this station was the most amazing Museum I’ve ever been to; I didn’t get bored. In fact, I stayed way longer than I should’ve, and I had to slightly rush the rest of the day. The entry to Hakone Open Air Sculpture Museum was £7 but it was definitely worth it.



The area, with incredible backdrops was open grounds full of weird and wonderful sculptures, and buildings housing even more.





This was a maze, and I got so lost:


I would’ve been better off in the kids maze:


I liked this, but maybe it was the hangover talking:


When I inter-railed around Europe, one artist seemed to follow me. Niki de Saint Phalle, and his/her big strange-breasted women. It was only fitting that one popped up here as well. Is there any escape?


My favourite thing was the ‘Stained Glass Tower’. From the outside it looked a little rubbish.



However, inside was a completely different story:






The museum also gave me my first onsen – hot spring – experience. It wasn’t too hot, although it was funny when all the school-kids put their feet in. Even all of the boys were screaming. Lightweights. Here’re my feet anyway.



I wonder what’s in here?


Well, all the school-girls were taking pictures:


Speaking of which, the school-girls here acted as if they’d never seen a gaijin before and kept running up to me saying ‘he-llo’. I’d reply and ask them how they were, in Japanese. They loved it, and giggled.

On my way out, I stumbled upon a new dinosaur exhibition being set-up. This was like Jurassic Park come to life – does the video do it any justice how realistic they moved? It's quite dark, sorry.



I got a snack here and, two and a half hours later, headed off.
I told you it was a long day…

No comments: