Friday, February 2

...It's Setsubun!

Before I arrived in Japan, I tried to learn a little bit of the language and the culture. Of course, this proved near impossible; which is why I whole-heartedly suggest to every single student to do a homestay. However, I learnt a few things, one of which I've been excited about for the past 11 months.

節分 (Setsubun) is the bridge between Winter and Spring, on the 3rd February. It's believed that this is the time to clean away the evil from the previous year. However, due to this 'gap' - the name literally meaning 'season division' - 鬼 (monsters - oni) are able to escape and find their way into our world. The most famous is 赤鬼 (red monster - aka oni) although his friend, the more elusive 青鬼 (blue monster - ao oni) isn't far behind.

A bit like Christmas, Dads across Japan dress up as these monsters, to scare children.

Where do the beans - that I'm sure you have all prepared - come into play? A special ritual is carried out on the 3rd, called 豆まき (mamemaki) which translates as 'bean scattering'. The beans are either thrown outside the house, or at the member of the family dressed up as the 鬼. I have my mask ready. During the scattering, you chant:

鬼は外。福は内。
(oni wa soto. fuku wa uchi).
Or if you're a little Japanese illiterate, "monsters out, luck in".


After throwing the bad deeds out, you need to bring the good luck in, by eating the same amount of beans as your age. A small dinner for some, a few more beans for other readers out there.

Please try it. Throw some beans, say some Japanese, and then eat a few. The best photo or write-up of your experience will win a prize. I'll stick some of my own up after tomorrow night.

No comments: