Wednesday, December 19

Glad I Dropped The Soap

Hong Kong Post Office staff are M.E.A.N.

I've been trying to pack for the last few days, working out how best and where best to send all of my things, with only a 20 kilo limit on the plane and my life's possessions with me. It didn't help that I'd recently brought a few more jumpers over from England, and that I'd just stocked up on toiletries.

I decided to send a box to England (surface, which takes about 6 weeks) and a box to Japan (air, about 10 days). I went to the Post Office to pick up a couple of 10 kilo boxes and began organising them.

Yesterday I sent the England box. Surface weight is measured by kilo; I'd already taped my box up and it weighed as 7.06 kilos. That's 60 grams, not 600 grams - yet the woman charged me at 8 kilos!! There was no talking to her, she wouldn't have any of it. For a measly 60 grams.

Today, I was more prepared and didn't seal the box until I weighed it; air is charged by every 0.5 kilos. The box was 8.52 kilos - the man said it would cost 9 kilos. For crying out loud - 20 grams over?! These people have no heart.

So I took out the first small thing I saw; a bar of soap.

No comments: