Tuesday, December 25

A Tourist In Hong Kong - Wednesday

On Wednesday, I went to the centre of the New Territories, to an old area called Sha Tin, formerly a market town. There were a few temples, the remains of a walled village (Tsang Tai) and a nice park. It was nice enough but nothing of great interest to warrant it a tourist destination. However, I saw one of the most extraordinary sights here, which warrants its own entry.



One feature is Snoopy's World, just outside the newly developed shopping mall. This is a playground for children, with a small boat ride and statues of all the characters. The last is my favourite by far:




I also had a look at laptops in the electronics store as mine, as wonderful as he is, was really starting to play up. Important later.

I moved further down through Kowloon to the harbour, to the Avenue Of The Stars, a promenade dedicated to the movie industry of Hong Kong. Interesting fact, Jackie Chan is actually Chen - no idea why we distorted his name. It was also here that a woman stopped me and I participated in her survey about tourists; my answers (from the beginning of my stay where I came over for business, to the end where I was unemployed) made for contradictions all over the place and she was getting really confused as the questionnaire didn't allow for this narrative.


I finished my day in the Mid-levels, an area high up the mountain on Hong Kong side where many foreigners live. The synagogue was well hidden away, underneath a tall building, and behind 4 security guards.


I was searched, and metal detectored, but I made it through to the Wednesday night buffet. The food was great (roast beef, baked potatoes, challah, smoked salmon) but there was a function on in the main hall, so the place was deserted (apart from me, there were 3 Israeli, American and French families). Seems a shame to have a 'do' on the same night as the restaurant's highlight of the week - like the community is losing its own money. Did I mention the food was great?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We never made it to this Synagogue, the one we went to also had a restuarant, food great. Located inside a shoping mall.
Love the snoopy pschiatric photo.... a plan for you?
How's your laptop? Save your photos as a web album. Take care love Dad, PS agree about the Bourne trilogy .... brilliant.

phil-san said...

The shul was quite impressive inside, but I didn't want to take photos. They were very kind to let me look around. You had to go down 3 floors to get to the shul from reception, and the library, shop and restaurant was one floor above reception.

The function room was about the same size as the Menorah Suite, but not as well-maintained.

McGarmott said...

Jackie Chan is Cheng Long in Mandarin, Seng Long in Cantonese.